Pencil sketch by Mary Ann Barr 2021
Town Hall, 1830 Danby Road, Ithaca, NY 14850
The purpose of Danby Youth Commission is to recommend policies, plans, and procedures to the sponsoring municipality to enable the development, implementation and coordination of effective programs that meet the recreational and developmental needs of youth. The Danby Youth Commission continues to work with the Tompkins County Municipal Youth Services System – which is committed to providing opportunities for underrepresented and underserved youth to deal successfully with the challenges of adolescence. By building partnerships, communities can offer diverse, cost-effective programs that strengthen and support young people.
For the latest program offerings for youth in grades 4-8, check out the Danby Youth Services webpage. Also, in conjunction with the Ithaca Youth Bureau, the Town of Danby supports summer jobs for youth through YES program. More information about applying can be found here.
The Danby Youth Commission meets VIRTUALLY on the second Thursday of every month (except July) from 7pm-8:30PM. To attend a meeting please contact the chairperson (Jamie Sorrentino, firstname.lastname@example.org) for Zoom link access.
The Danby Youth Commission is dedicated to fulfilling the need for quality youth development programming. The triangle diagram here details the hierarchy of interventions for you. The higher the area on the diagram, the less youth are served, and the cost is significantly increased per-youth. To reach the underserved and underrepresented youth most effective, the Danby Commission will focus on positive youth development programming.
The Town of Danby sits on the traditional & ancestral land of the Gayogoho:no’ (Cayuga Nation), one of the five nations to first form the Haudenosaunee. Indigenous peoples were largely forced out of Upstate New York by the Sullivan-Clinton Expedition in 1779. The land that would become the Town of Danby was a part of the Watkins and Flint Purchase, a 336,380 acre patent granted by New York State to numerous eastern investors in 1794.